- Youth Groups in São Paulo Mobilize Donations to the Homeless
People living on the streets of São Paulo were surprised in the early hours of last Wednesday, July 1st, with a new mobilization: they received scarves made by children who represent the opposite of their realities, students at Porto Seguro school, one of the country's top schools.
Published on 07/03/2015 - 10h13
- Project Takes Classical Music to Bus Terminals, Schools and Cemeteries of São Paulo
It's noon at Dom Pedro Park bus terminal 2, in downtown São Paulo. Amid the noise of the buses' engines and the hustle and bustle of passengers, a singer sings an excerpt from the Opera "Carmen" by Georges Bizet.
Published on 07/01/2015 - 09h40
- Express Kidnapping Cases in São Paulo Are Not Disclosed in Government Statistics
Physiotherapist Joana (not her real name), 27, was parking her car in a street in the Santo Amaro area (Southern São Paulo) on Monday, June 22nd, when an armed couple approached - they wanted to keep her hostage while another criminal withdrew money from her account and went shopping with her credit cards.
Published on 06/26/2015 - 09h14
- Police Officer Arrested After Being Caught on Camera Shooting at Suspects in São Paulo
The Military Police arrested an officer from Rocam (the motorized unit of the Military Police) who shot two suspects during a police chase on Tuesday night (23), in Jardim São Luis, in the South Zone of São Paulo.
Published on 06/25/2015 - 09h21
- Iranian Adventurer Suspends Round the World Trip in São Paulo After Federal Revenue Office Fine
An Iranian adventurer who is attempting to travel around the world in a unique amphibious vehicle - on land, it works like a bicycle, while at sea, as a kind of pedal boat - was forced to suspend his trip in São Paulo after receiving a fine of US$18,000 from Brazil's Department of Federal Revenue (Receita Federal).
Published on 06/23/2015 - 10h18
- From the Crops to Party Buffets, Four Cases of Child Labor Are Discovered in São Paulo Every Day
João, 9, works eight hours a day at a carwash in São Paulo. He earns R$ 5 (US$ 1.6) per car of the R$ 40 (US$ 12.8) that are paid for the service.
Published on 06/16/2015 - 09h50
- Residents of High-End Region Fear "Mix of Classes" with Low-Income Housing
In Vila Leopoldina, a neighborhood in soaring social ascension, nicknamed by some residents "new Moema," São Paulo City Hall has set aside a piece of land of more than 30,000 square meters called Zeis (Zone of Social Interest) - the area is between two luxury condominiums, with apartments that can cost up to US$ 955,000.
Published on 06/08/2015 - 08h49
- Despite the Economic Crisis, Gay Parade Fills Hotels in São Paulo
With less money than anticipated, the Gay Parade in São Paulo is reaching its 19th edition on Sunday, June 7th. With budget constraints, the city will invest US$414,000 out of US$638,000 on the event.
Published on 06/05/2015 - 09h45
- Offer of Audio Description and Sign-Language Interpretation Increases in Shows Across São Paulo
Concert venues and companies from São Paulo have increased the number of performances with audio description and Brazilian Sign-Language (Libras) interpretation.
Published on 06/05/2015 - 09h34
- Expansion of São Paulo Metro Much Slower than in Other Global Cities
The speed at which the São Paulo metro system has expanded since the PSDB assumed power of the state government in 1995 is just as slow as during previous administrations, and vastly inferior to other countries in similar conditions.
Published on 05/26/2015 - 09h13