Latest Photo Galleries
Published on 11/19/2015
- Crisis Forces São Paulo Samba Schools to Tone Down Glitz and Glamour
With the dollar at R$4, making imported material more expensive; the reductions of financial incentives by carnival sponsors, and the financial crisis hitting the pockets of the public, the glitz and glamour of the São Paulo samba schools is likely to be more modest this year.
Published on 02/05/2016 - 08h57
- Skimpy Clothing Selling Well on São Paulo's Rua 25 de Março Ahead of Carnival
Nobody wants the whole Chaves costume - the one with the hat, shirt, suspenders and trousers. Nor the pirate, with a black shirt and trousers. Super Mario, only if it comes with the kepi.
Published on 02/04/2016 - 09h25
- Police Come Down Hard on Demonstrations Against Public Transport Fare Hikes in São Paulo
A second demonstration against fare hikes on the public transport network in São Paulo was marked by a change in the strategy of the Military Police (PM), who came down heavily on the protest, using tear gas grenades to disperse demonstrators - even before confrontations with protestors using black bloc tactics.
Published on 01/13/2016 - 09h57
- Most of São Paulo's Main Cultural Attractions Lack Fire Safety Documentation
The main museums and cultural centers in São Paulo do not possess the documentation necessary to prove that they satisfy health and safety requirements.
Published on 12/23/2015 - 09h44
- Fire Damages Luz Station in São Paulo; Portuguese Language Museum Is Wrecked and Firefighter Dies
A fire destroyed part of the building that houses Luz railway and metro stations; a historic site in central São Paulo built 148 years ago.
Published on 12/22/2015 - 10h56
- São Paulo's Most Traditional Video Store Shuts its Doors
The times change quickly: a few years ago, no one could imagine a safer business, more prosperous and cheery than the business of video and DVD rental stores. Good, great, awful, special features or not, everywhere you looked, you found one.
Published on 12/22/2015 - 09h40
- São Paulo Mayor Fernando Haddad Battles in Court to Remove Bus Fare Collectors
São Paulo Mayor Fernando Haddad (Workers' Party) battles in court to strike down the requirement to keep fare collectors working on São Paulo buses.
Published on 11/06/2015 - 09h08
- São Paulo Students Raise R$80,000 and Will Fly to India for Math Competition
Students from a state college in São Paulo have managed to raise R$80,000 (US$20,285) through online crowdfunding in order to participate in an international mathematics and science competition, due to take place in India next month.
Published on 10/22/2015 - 10h13
- Luxury Guesthouse in Bahia Amongst Properties Belonging to São Paulo Official Accused of Corruption
Embedded in an Atlantic forest nature reserve, just meters from the sea, with thrushes and swallows winging around it, lies one of the most luxurious guesthouses of Morro de São Paulo, a popular beach resort in Bahia, northeast Brazil.
Published on 10/21/2015 - 09h14
- Drink-Driver Who Killed Two Workers in São Paulo To Be Released on Bail
A woman who ran over and killed two workers in São Paulo in the early hours of Sunday (18) morning has had her preventive detention revoked and will be released on bail, after paying a fee of R$15,760 (US $4055) - the equivalent of 20 monthly minimum wages.
Published on 10/20/2015 - 11h16