- Famous Chef in Brazil Teaches Workshops and Employs Teen-Aged Delinquents
A six-kilo piece of beef rests on the steel counter. It must become strips for stroganoff, a dish that eight boys between the ages of 13 and 17 will help chef Janaina Rueda prepare at Fundação Casa de Itaquaquecetuba (SP), an institution for juvenile delinquents, on a Wednesday afternoon.
Published on 04/20/2015 - 10h45
- Eight Deaths in Massacre at Corinthians Organized Fans' Headquarters
Eight men died late Saturday night, April 18, in a massacre at the headquarters of Pavilhão Nove, Corinthians's organized fans' organization, in the west zone of São Paulo. The police said a celebration was occurring at the site at the moment of the attack.
Published on 04/20/2015 - 09h42
- São Paulo Has Over One Death a Day Due to Dengue
This year's dengue epidemic in São Paulo has caused, on average, over one death per day.
Published on 04/17/2015 - 09h09
- Residents Go to Court against Hotel for Crack Users in Downtown São Paulo
A group of residents in the Campos Elíseos neighborhood in downtown São Paulo, filed a lawsuit to try to stop the opening of a new hotel for crack users in the area.
Published on 04/16/2015 - 08h34
- São Paulo Municipality Confirms Two More Deaths by Dengue Fever in the City
The Mayor of São Paulo confirmed on Thursday (9) afternoon two more cases of death caused by dengue fever. In 2015, the city has already registered four deaths linked to the disease. In 2014, there were 14 deaths. According to the Municipal Health Assistant Secretary, Paulo Puccini, the municipality is still investigating other nine suspected cases of death by dengue fever. "The death confirmed by the Adolfo Lutz Institute is still under suspicion. Other 15 have already been discarded", he said. The municipality has already registered 8,063 cases of dengue this year against 3,183 in the same period of 2014. The figures show an increase of 153%. The last two people who died by dengue were women: a 27-year-old, who lived in the region of Lajeado (East São Paulo), and a 41-year-old, resident of Grajaú (South). The first death caused by dengue fever in the city of São Paulo was confirmed in early March. The victim was an 84-year-old woman, resident of Freguesia do Ó (North). The second was an 11-year-old boy from Jardim Angela (South) who waited for transplant. The child was admitted to children's hospital Instituto da Criança on February 25 and died on March 9. The cause of death was confirmed by the Adolfo Lutz Institute. In the first quarter of 2015, the deaths by dengue fever in the State of São Paulo have surpassed the total cases registered in 2014. A survey conducted by Folha compared the records of 60 towns in the State with the highest number of cases. The result showed that there were at least 92 confirmed deaths by the disease last week, compared to 90 from January to December last year.
Published on 04/10/2015 - 08h33
- Without Supervision, Street Vendors Return to São Paulo
The sounds of people yelling: "olha o rapa, olha o rapa!" (mind the inspection) is becoming less common in São Paulo's street trading.
Published on 04/08/2015 - 09h13
- In 3 Months, Deaths due to Dengue Outnumber 2014 Total in São Paulo
Deaths due to dengue fever in the State of São Paulo have outnumbered, in the first three months of the year, the total of registered deaths for the entire year of 2014.
Published on 04/02/2015 - 09h22
- Resident Is the Postwoman in Poor Neighbourhood of São Paulo with no Post Office and Sewage System
The light is there but to do justice to its name, the area still lacks the rest of the structure. Some things can wait, but having, at least, the address recognized by the post office would be a good start, say the residents of Progresso Street (progress in English).
Published on 03/30/2015 - 14h25
- Historic Drought Leaves Homeless Without Water for Drinking in São Paulo
Homeless and drug users who live in the area around Bresser viaduct, in Mooca (East zone), and the district called "cracolândia", in downtown São Paulo, complain they have no water for drinking, bathing and using the toilet in the tents offered by the city's program named "Open Arms" (Braços Abertos), due to the interruption of supply ordered by Sabesp (São Paulo's water board).
Published on 03/25/2015 - 09h21
- São Paulo Court of Justice Orders Mayor Haddad to Paralyse Bike Paths Under Construction
Last Thursday (19), after an injunction request, the court decided that Fernando Haddad's (PT) administration must paralyse the cycle paths under construction in the city. The only exception is the bike path at Paulista Avenue. The decision made by the 5th court of the Public Treasury was in response to a preliminary injunction asked by prosecutor Camila Mansour Magalhães da Silveira. She argues that Fernando Haddad's administration (PT) has not planned the bike path network before its implementation. Judge Luiz Fernando Rodrigues Guerra accepted the request due to the increase in traffic caused by the bike lanes.
Published on 03/20/2015 - 09h16