Latest Photo Galleries
Published on 04/11/2016
Published on 11/19/2015
13-Year-Old Boy Killed During Police Operation in Favela Is Buried in Rio
09/10/2015 - 08h59
FROM RIO DE JANEIRO
Christian Soares Andrade, 13, killed during a police operation in the Manguinhos favela, in North Rio, was buried on Wednesday (9) afternoon in the cemetery of Caju, in the city's port district.
Nearly 100 people were present at the funeral. All those to whom Folha spoke said that Andrade had been playing football moments before being shot. His mother, Janaína, felt unwell and had to be carried by friends of the family.
According to police, the exchange of fire happened during an operation by the Civil Police's Special Operations Team (CORE, in its Portuguese acronym).
The police were looking for four people suspected of murdering Military Police officer Clayton Dias, 26, on April 28. They say that they were attacked by drugs traffickers as soon as they entered the favela.
The homicide unit is investigating Andrade's death. The guns of both the Civil Police team, and those of the favela's Pacifying Police Unit (UPP), have been sent to experts for analysis.
The police chief Rivaldo Barbosa said on Tuesday (8) that it is still not possible to say where the shot that killed Andrade came from.
The Civil Police said that Andrade had been in trouble with the police four times before, twice for robbery and twice for theft.
Translated by TOM GATEHOUSE
|Domingos Peixoto/Ag. O Globo|
|Christian Soares Andrade, 13, killed during a police operation in the Manguinhos favela was buried on Wednesday (9)|