Fabricante de material bélico Avibrás teve medidas de segurança avaliadas; leia
DE SÃO PAULO
186502 9 de janeiro de 2009 17:38
09SAOPAULO19 Consulate Sao Paulo UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY
09STATE133964 VZCZCXRO3587RR RUEHRGDE RUEHSO #0019 0091738ZNR UUUUU ZZHR 091738Z JAN 09FM AMCONSUL SAO PAULOTO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 8866INFO RUEHBR/AMEMBASSY BRASILIA 0014RUEAIIA/CIA WASHDCRUEHKL/AMEMBASSY KUALA LUMPUR 0319RUEHRG/AMCONSUL RECIFE 4281RUEHRI/AMCONSUL RIO DE JANEIRO 8980RHMCSUU/FBI WASHINGTON DCRUCPDOC/USDOC WASHDC 3247RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DCRUEPINS/HQ BICE INTEL WASHINGTON DC 0305 UNCLAS SAO PAULO 000019 FOR PM/DTCC - BLUE LANTERN COORDINATOR SIPDIS SENSITIVE E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: ETTC, KOMC, MY, BR SUBJECT: BLUE LANTERN CASE 050136184 REF: STATE 133964 SENSITIVE BUT UNCLASSIFIED--PLEASE PROTECT ACCORDINGLY
1. (SBU) SUMMARY: In response to reftel, Econoff visited AVIBRAS munitions manufacturing site and met with company president Sami Hassuani on January 8. The company appears to have adequate security measures to protect sensitive USML items. Hassuani provided copious documentation to support the transaction. END SUMMARY.
2. (SBU) AVIBRAS's supporting documentation included an approximately 1,000 page long sales contract from the Government of Malaysia. It included detailed descriptions of the product, including blueprints. A Principle Deputy Assistant Secretary level representative of the Government of Malaysia (GoM) had signed the contract and it contained the original seal of the GoM. Hassuani also showed original documentation from a similar contract with the GoM in 2000. Plaques, given as gifts to his company for its services from various countries' militaries, decorated an entire wall in his office. Hassuani even showed Econoff his Association of the U.S. Army card, showing his membership since 1984.
3. (SBU) ABIBRAS has four sites, divided into munitions, armor and plating, civilian, and administrative. The compounds themselves are located some distance from the main road and protected by security guards. The munitions facility is located about one mile off kilometer 14 of the Tamoios highway, near the city of Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil. Upon arrival to the compound, the security guard requested Econoff turn off his cell phone, even though there appeared to be no reception available in the isolated compound. AVIBRAS also retains a member of the Brazilian Air Force to serve as their security liaison. The liaison officer conducts background investigations and grants security clearances to all AVIBRAS employees and contractors, in addition to periodic reviews of compound security.
4. (SBU) AVIBRAS principally manufactures the Artillery Saturation Rocket System (ASTROS II). AVIBRAS also manufactures air-to-air missile delivery systems for Embraer jet fighters, civilian explosives, fuses, and the missiles themselves. They also have developed an unmanned drone. AVIBRAS does not serve as a broker, which Hassuani says is against Brazilian law. They import the parts for their systems and then manufacture the delivery systems themselves. After the product is complete, workers place it in a container and a Government of Brazil (GoB) customs agent travels to the factory to seal the container. The container is not opened again until the end-user receives delivery of the unit.
5. (SBU) AVIBRAS sells exclusively to governments. According to Hussuani, they have sold equipment to the following countries' militaries: Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Malaysia, Brunei, Morocco, Angola, Columbia, Chile, and Ecuador. The GoB must approve all transactions and it does deny sales to certain countries. Hassuani showed Econoff a list of the denied countries, which included Iran, Israel, and Ecuador.
6. (SBU) Joao Verde Leite founded AVIBRAS in 1961 and he was the principal owner until he died in a helicopter crash last year. His surviving family retains ownership of the company, administered by his son, Joao Brasil Leite. Hassuani runs the day-to-day operations of the AVIBRAS. The company at one time employed 6,000 people, although today that number has fallen to 1,200.
7. (SBU) Hussuani assured Econoff that the company understood the restrictions on USML items, as well as the prohibition against unauthorized stockpiling. The company took Post's visit seriously, brining out four ASTROS II units for display and Hassuani himself accompanied Econoff on every portion of the tour. WHITE 2009-01-09 5 visita a AVIBRAS AVIATION
As Últimas que Você não Leu
- Nomeação de novo juiz do Supremo pode ter impacto sobre a Lava Jato
- Indicação de Alexandre de Moraes vai aprofundar racha dentro do PSDB
- Base no Senado exalta currículo de Moraes e elogia indicação
- Na USP, Moraes perdeu concursos e foi acusado de defender tortura
- Escolha de Moraes só possui semelhança com a de Nelson Jobim em 1997
- Manifestantes tentam impedir fala de Moro em palestra em Nova York
- Temer decide indicar Alexandre de Moraes para vaga de Teori no STF