Doria Dismisses the 38 PMs of Funk Party Operation that Left 9 Dead

Six had already been dismissed

Artur Rodrigues Rogério Pagnan
São Paulo

Gov. João Doria (PSDB) has decided to dismiss 38 military police officers who took part in the funk party police operation that killed nine people in Paraisópolis, in the south of São Paulo.

Family members of victims requested their dismissal at meeting at the Bandeirantes Palace on Monday night (9). Doria ordered the secretary of public security, General João Camilo Campos, to grant the request.

Relatives of the victims and survivors accuse military police of cornering ball-goers and then assaulting them in alleys. Foto: Renato Fontes/Folhapress

Six military police officers, out of the 38 now announced, had already been removed from duty in the past week. Now another 32 will be removed.

"The removal is a matter of respect. We will not remove six if there are 38 involved," said Maria Cristina Quirino, mother of Denis Henrique, 16, who died in the episode.

Relatives of the victims and survivors accuse military police of cornering ball-goers and then assaulting them in alleys. Videos that circulated after the killings show scenes of police aggression and running around.

PMs claim they were chasing suspects on a motorcycle. According to them, the suspects reportedly entered the ball and shot the police officers, causing a rush.

"The meeting was to listen to families, to show the state's attitude, what we are doing, and we intend to do. The main word of the meeting was respect, transparency and measures that the state should take. The steps now are for transparency, respect for the grief of families and programs that will meet the needs of communities," said State Attorney General Lia Porto Corona.

Translated by Kiratiana Freelon

Read the article in the original language