Latest Photo Galleries
Published on 04/11/2016
Published on 11/19/2015
- Singing About Butts, Funk Is Fighting Its Way to the Top of Music Charts
With more than 160 million views in a bit over a month since its debut, Anitta's "Vai Malandra" video is a current reflection of Brazilian music charts: the obsession with butts - even those with imperfections.
Published on 01/26/2018 - 11h30
- Survey Reveals the 15 Brazilian Artists Who Get More Views on YouTube Outside the Country
At first glance, it may seem difficult to draw parallels between Sepultura, Michel Teló, Axé Bahia and João Gilberto. But there is one thing they all have in common: they are part of a select group of Brazilian artists who get more views abroad than at home.
Published on 01/12/2018 - 11h02
- Carlos Heitor Cony, Lyrical and Acute Novelist and Writer, Dies at 91 in Rio
Journalist, novelist and Folha columnist Carlos Heitor Cony passed away on the night of 5th January in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, at the age of 91 years. He has died in hospital of multiple organ failure around 11pm. He had undergone surgery on his abdomen.
Published on 01/08/2018 - 11h08
- Funk From São Paulo Extends Beyond State Lines, Becoming Popular in Brazil and the World Over
It was May of last year, and Brazilian music was being blasted at a nightclub in Beijing. Coming through the speakers was the already famous "funk" beat. And, as DJs would point out, it was working: the dance floor was crowded and people were dancing even if they couldn't understand a word of the music.
Published on 12/20/2017 - 10h43
- At Age 22, Marília Mendonça Becomes Brazil's Most Popular Artist
Marília Mendonça, the 22-year-old singer and composer, described herself by saying that "Marília Mendonça is the face of Brazil. She is 'brega' music, 'sertanejo', romantic, and she tells it like it is", referring to different genres of popular Brazilian music.
Published on 12/19/2017 - 11h13
- Globo TV and YouTube Reformulate Metrics and Both Announce Audiences of 100 Million Viewers
At the end of September, during the internet event YouPix Con in São Paulo, from a panel entitled "Hey, Is TV Dead or Not?", youtuber Felipe Neto, who has 16 million followers, was attacking Rede Globo.
Published on 12/14/2017 - 11h56
- Lack of Transparency Regarding Money Transfers Led to Arrest of Inhotim Founder
Entrepreneur Bernardo de Mello Paz, 67, was sentenced for money laundering because of a lack of transparency, not because of bribes or misappropriated funds.
Published on 12/13/2017 - 11h03
- After Half a Century, Script of 'Entranced Earth' Is Remarkably Up To Date
"Entranced Earth", an explosive political-carnival dystopian film by Glauber Rocha, a director from Bahia, is celebrating its 50th anniversary.
Published on 12/07/2017 - 12h36
- Odebrecht Begins to Change Company Names to Attract New Partners
Brazilian construction company Odebrecht decided to change the name of the companies that comprise its group to make it easier for new partners to enter these businesses and dodge associations of the group's name and corruption.
Published on 11/23/2017 - 12h54
- Minister of Health Says Adjustment of Elderly Plan Needs to Be Faced
The minister of the health, Ricardo Barros, states that health care plans "assume a risk in advance for something uncertain" seeing they cannot adjust their monthly fees for users over the age of 60. A bill allowing such adjustment will be voted by a special commission of the lower house of congress on Wednesday (8).
Published on 11/08/2017 - 13h54