Latest Photo Galleries
Published on 04/11/2016
Published on 11/19/2015
- Nine Brazilians Are Facing Charges for Alleged Ties to the Islamic State
The Public Prosecutor's Office accused 11 people of attempting to form a criminal organization with the intent of promoting terrorist group ISIS and recruiting minors to carry out terrorist attacks.
Published on 05/18/2018 - 12h48
- Federal Agencies Launch Operation Against Illegal Mining in Brazil
Aiming to attack an illegal chain of gold mining in the Amazon, the Brazilian Federal Prosecution Office (MPF) and other federal government agencies have started an operation against mining and companies in the Tapajós river area, in Western Pará.
Published on 05/18/2018 - 12h45
- Against Expectations, Brazil's Central Bank Maintains Interest Rate at 6.5%
The Brazilian Central Bank reacted to the recent surge in the dollar exchange rate and decided to keep the country's benchmark interest rate (Selic) at 6.5% a year. The institution also indicated that the cycle of interest rate cuts has ended - it began in October 2016, when the rate was as high as 14.25%.
Published on 05/17/2018 - 13h20
- São Paulo Police Kill more Men, Blacks and Youth
There are more men, blacks and young people killed as a result of police interventions than the number of murder victims in the State of São Paulo, according to unpublished research.
Published on 05/17/2018 - 13h17
- Debt faced by Brazilian States Goes Up Another US$ 4 billion Due to Rising Dollar
Some states that are already dealing with the hardships of having to tackle their budget deficits will have to deal with an additional difficulty: the dollar has risen consistently in recent weeks, impacting foreign currency debts.
Published on 05/16/2018 - 12h35
- Brazilian Prosecution Office Indicts JBS' Executives and Ignores Agreement
The Federal Prosecution Office indicted JBS' executives and informers Joesley Batista and Francisco de Assis on charges of active corruption, money laundering, violation of functional confidentiality and obstruction of investigations.
Published on 05/16/2018 - 12h28
- Businessman Says He Seized Opportunity and Purchased Triplex Apartment for US$ 599,000
The beachfront triplex apartment in Guarujá (SP), which belonged to former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva according to Car Wash investigation, was purchased at an auction for the minimum bid of R$ 2.2 million (US$ 599,000). The only bid was made at the last minutes of the online auction, which ended at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday (15).
Published on 05/16/2018 - 12h18
- British Cosmetics Brand Leaves Brazil for the Second Time Blaming Tax Rates
British cosmetics store Lush announced on Monday (the 14th) that it will be closing its doors in Brazil. The company will begin shutting down its stores and factory on June 20th.
Published on 05/15/2018 - 11h38
- One in Three Presidential Candidates Drops Out of the Race Six Months Prior to Election Day
It may be surprising hat individuals such as Luciano Huck and Joaquim Barbosa, who were doing well in the polls, decide to drop out of the race, but it isn't an entirely atypical phenomenon if one considers Brazil's elections over the past three decades.
Published on 05/15/2018 - 11h21
- São Paulo Governor Decorates Officer Who Killed Thief, Defying Military Police Guidelines
São Paulo Governor Márcio França (PSB) held a ceremony on Mother's Day, Sunday, decorating a Military Police officer, and mother, who shot and killed a thief, adopting a strategy that defies Military Police guidelines that seek to reduce the police department's murder rate.
Published on 05/14/2018 - 12h21